Spelling and Suffix Practice
Read the following study guide for a concept review: Spelling and Suffix Help
Spelling and Suffix Practice
Words in Context
The following exercise will help you figure out the meaning of some words from the vocabulary list by reading context clues. After you have read and understood the paragraph, explain the context clues that helped you with the meaning of the vocabulary word. Refer to the answer section at the end of this chapter for an explanation of the clues.
The latest remake of Planet of the Apes develops the theme of bigotry in a world where apes are the dominant culture and humans are enslaved. Parity between the two species is unthinkable because the simians regard humans as inferior creatures. Leo, the central character, is the story's protagonist. He is a human astronaut who lands on a strange planet where apes venerate their own kind by offering praise and promotions for negative actions taken against humans. Leo's antagonist, General Thade, is the leader of the apes in this bizarre culture, and encourages the mistreatment of humans by apes. In General Thade's opinion, extermination of the humans is a laudable cause, and he mounts a full-scale campaign to exterminate humans from the planet.
Insert the word from the vocabulary list that best completes the sentences.
- Pulitzer Prize–winning novelist Eudora Welty was _____ in her obituary.
- You would never accuse Mark of _____; he's the most open-minded person I know.
- It took several months to _____ the merger, but after tough negotiation, the two companies became one.
- The young boy's removal from the Little League game was due to his _____ behavior of throwing the bat when he was angry.
- Rainforests are known for their _____ amounts of rainfalls, which supply the fauna with many nutrients.
- During WWII, Native Americans worked to develop a(n) _____ code that could not be deciphered by the enemy.
- Because of the family's _____ search, they were quickly reunited with their lost dog.
- My little brother is the _____ in the family; he constantly provokes fights with my sister and me.
- Sally wore sunscreen at the beach to _____ her chances of getting a sunburn.
- Due to the _____ of the budget director's financial policies, the economy grew stronger.
- In order to _____ the wrongdoing of the internment of innocent Japanese Americans during WWII, the U.S. government has agreed to pay reparations to victims.
- A(n) _____ in certain strains of powerful bacteria has turned them into drug-resistant menaces.
- The actions of a few skittish animals _____ the majority of horses to stampede.
- Union officials continuously fight for _____ in pay and working conditions.
- The horse and buggy reached its _____ in the early 1900s with the production of the automobile.
- In order to entice the consumer, companies will offer a short-term _____ on payments for buying merchandise.
- I loved studying _____ because I enjoyed looking at interesting rocks and how they came to be on Earth.
- The young teen's heroic effort to save the family from the sinking car was _____.
- The spy's disguise and _____ actions were undetected by foreign government officials.
- The haying season is my favorite part of _____ life.
Add your own comment
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process