Technology Vocabulary Words Help
Many of these words were coined very recently and are intentionally similar to other commonly used words. For instance, a motherboard is the main circuit board of the computer. Why do you think it is called a motherboard instead of a sisterboard or brotherboard? As you read through these words and their definitions, underline parts of the words that may serve as useful memory tricks. For example, what is the difference between uploading and downloading a file? Since these words are all very new, be sure to use a current dictionary or look at an online technology dictionary, such as www.webopedia.com, when you hear or read new technology words.
- a software program that lets you complete a task on your computer, such as word processing, listening to music, or viewing a Web page
- The computer _____ I use for word processing is really easy to learn.
- bandwidth (´band·:with)
- the amount of information that one can send through a connection at a given time, usually measured in kilobits per second
- At work, I can download files from the Internet a lot faster because I have more _____.
- bitmap (´bit·map)
- the representation in rows and columns of dots of an image in computer memory
- I downloaded the _____ so I could keep the picture on my computer.
- cache (´kash)
- a high-speed storage mechanism that allows a computer to store frequently accessed information locally
- I had to download the Web page again because it wasn't saved in my computer's _____.
- a message given to a Web browser by a Web server that is stored in the browser and sent back to the server every time the browser contacts the server for a Web page
- A _____ enables a Web page to recognize your computer when you log on to it so the page may say something like, "Welcome back, Jessie!"
- a symbol, usually a blinking line that shows where the next letter will be typed on a computer screen
- I bought the 12-inch laptop, and because the monitor is so small, I have a hard time seeing the _____.
- information stored and organized so that a computer can quickly retrieve selected pieces of information
- Our _____ hasn't been updated in six months, so I am not sure whether we have this item in stock.
- the process of copying a document or file from an online source to your own computer
- I had to _____ the application form from the university's website before I could print it.
- the translation of information into a secret code
- When entering my credit card number on a website, I am always worried that the _____ is not as secure as it should be and a hacker can easily get my personal information.
- a common method of enabling computers in the same local area network (LAN—see Chapter 15: Acronyms) to communicate with each other
- Before _____, computers in the same office could not communicate with each other.
- a system (using either hardware or software) that prevents unauthorized access to and from a private network
- My company's _____ is ironclad; no one could ever hack into our computer system.
- information technology (IT)
- the broad subject of anything concerning processing or managing information, especially in a large company
- Because Alison is such a whiz with computers, she was recruited to head the _____ department here.
- a word that specifies a particular record or file in programming a specific command
- I entered the Byzantine when I had to write a report on that era for school.
- the main circuit board of a computer
- She opened the computer and showed me the _____, a thin piece of plastic with many different wires running through it.
- a group of two or more computers linked together
- At work, we have 20 computers on our _____.
- a piece of hardware or software that adds a specific feature to a larger, already existing system
- Once I downloaded the _____, I was able to see and listen to movie clips on my computer.
- search engine
- a program that searches documents, websites, and databases for a keyword and then provides a list of those documents
- For some reason, this _____ is more efficient than the other one I was using; no matter what I am researching, I can find a slew of information.
- a computer on a network that manages network resources
- At my last company, the _____ was down so often it was hard to get anything accomplished on the computer.
- the opposite of download; to transmit documents from your computer to an online source
- When I built my Web page, I had to _____ the final page to our network to add it to the website.
- a type of computer that has enough power to run applications used in work environments, such as graphic design programs and software design programs; also refers to any computer connected to a LAN, whether a personal computer or workstation
- At home, I have a personal computer, but at work, I have a much faster because I use it to develop video games.
These terms tend to change as technology changes, so be sure to keep up to date on new technology in order to keep your vocabulary current.
Practice exercises for this study guide can be found at: Technology Vocabulary Words Practice
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
ACTIVITIESGet Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List