Technology Vocabulary Words Practice
Technology Vocabulary Words Practice
Words in Context
The following exercise will help you figure out the meaning of some words from the vocabulary list by reading context clues. After you have read and understood the paragraph, explain the context clues that helped you with the meaning of the vocabulary word. Refer to the answer section at the end of this chapter for an explanation of the clues.
On Tom's first day of work as a computer programmer, he had to set up his workstation. He was really excited because his computer was really fast and many of the applications he would use for work were already installed. First he connected his workstation to the network by using the Ethernet cord at his desk. This enabled him to communicate with all of the other computers in the office. Once he was connected to the network, he opened his Inter net program and went immediately to his favorite search engine. He wanted to see how his favorite baseball team did in their game, so he typed the keyword "baseball" in the search engine, and it gave him a list of several baseball-related websites. He quickly checked the score of the game and then got back to work.
As you may have noticed, many of these terms have other meanings (for example, server, cookie, network), so pay very close attention to context.
Insert the correct word from the vocabulary list into the following sentences.
- At work, I can communicate with the other computers in the office as long as they are connected on our _____.
- The _____ prevents people without authorization from accessing our system and potentially damaging it.
- When the _____ goes down, we cannot access the Internet, save files, or communicate with other computers on the network.
- I was surprised when the Web page said, "Welcome back, Margaret!" But then my friend explained how _____ work.
- The clerk said that they were out of the sofa we wanted to buy, but said she would check the _____ to see if one of their other stores had it in stock.
- In my computer class, I learned how to use several different graphic design _____(s).
- When I first open my Internet program, the last Web page I went to appears in my browser window because it is saved in my computer's _____.
- My friend e-mailed me a funny animated cartoon, but I couldn't watch it because I didn't have the right _____.
- I needed information for my school report on various weather systems, so I used "meteorology" as a(n) _____ on an Internet search engine.
- I would like to work in the _____ department at a company because I like to work with computers and help people use them more effectively.
- When you press return on your keyboard, the _____ moves to the next line.
- It took me a long time to download the file because I didn't have enough _____.
- I opened the _____ in a graphic design program so I could edit the image.
- At work, our network is connected via _____.
- He studied _____, the translation of information into a secret code.
- Before I left for my camping trip, I used a(n) _____ to search for information about the campsite.
- I like to _____ songs from the Internet so that I can listen to them on my computer.
- I _____ (ed) my resume from my computer to an online job board.
- My _____ has a lot more memory than my computer at home.
- I thought it would be really hard to add more memory to my computer, but I followed the directions and all I had to do was put it in the slot located on the _____ of my computer.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Problems With Standardized Testing
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Theories of Learning
- April Fools! The 10 Best Pranks to Play on Your Kids
- Nature and Nurture