Technology Vocabulary Words Practice (page 2)
Technology Vocabulary Words Practice
Words in Context
The following exercise will help you figure out the meaning of some words from the vocabulary list by reading context clues. After you have read and understood the paragraph, explain the context clues that helped you with the meaning of the vocabulary word. Refer to the answer section at the end of this chapter for an explanation of the clues.
On Tom's first day of work as a computer programmer, he had to set up his workstation. He was really excited because his computer was really fast and many of the applications he would use for work were already installed. First he connected his workstation to the network by using the Ethernet cord at his desk. This enabled him to communicate with all of the other computers in the office. Once he was connected to the network, he opened his Inter net program and went immediately to his favorite search engine. He wanted to see how his favorite baseball team did in their game, so he typed the keyword "baseball" in the search engine, and it gave him a list of several baseball-related websites. He quickly checked the score of the game and then got back to work.
As you may have noticed, many of these terms have other meanings (for example, server, cookie, network), so pay very close attention to context.
Insert the correct word from the vocabulary list into the following sentences.
- At work, I can communicate with the other computers in the office as long as they are connected on our _____.
- The _____ prevents people without authorization from accessing our system and potentially damaging it.
- When the _____ goes down, we cannot access the Internet, save files, or communicate with other computers on the network.
- I was surprised when the Web page said, "Welcome back, Margaret!" But then my friend explained how _____ work.
- The clerk said that they were out of the sofa we wanted to buy, but said she would check the _____ to see if one of their other stores had it in stock.
- In my computer class, I learned how to use several different graphic design _____(s).
- When I first open my Internet program, the last Web page I went to appears in my browser window because it is saved in my computer's _____.
- My friend e-mailed me a funny animated cartoon, but I couldn't watch it because I didn't have the right _____.
- I needed information for my school report on various weather systems, so I used "meteorology" as a(n) _____ on an Internet search engine.
- I would like to work in the _____ department at a company because I like to work with computers and help people use them more effectively.
- When you press return on your keyboard, the _____ moves to the next line.
- It took me a long time to download the file because I didn't have enough _____.
- I opened the _____ in a graphic design program so I could edit the image.
- At work, our network is connected via _____.
- He studied _____, the translation of information into a secret code.
- Before I left for my camping trip, I used a(n) _____ to search for information about the campsite.
- I like to _____ songs from the Internet so that I can listen to them on my computer.
- I _____ (ed) my resume from my computer to an online job board.
- My _____ has a lot more memory than my computer at home.
- I thought it would be really hard to add more memory to my computer, but I followed the directions and all I had to do was put it in the slot located on the _____ of my computer.
In the space provided, write a T if the sentence is true or an F if the sentence is false. If the sentence is false, cross out the word that makes the sentence false, and write the correct word from the vocabulary list above it.
- ___When I want to put a picture on my blog, I download it from my computer onto the Internet.
- ___A cookie is a high-speed storage mechanism that allows my computer to store information I frequently use.
- ___I used a server to do research on my new car by typing in the model and year. It then gave me a list of websites relating to my car.
- ___I just installed this new application on my computer that enables me to balance my checkbook and keep track of my expenses on my computer.
- ___Our office recently added five more computers to our network.
- ___Our computers are all connected via encryption so my computer can communicate with all of the others in the office.
- ___When you upload a file, you transmit it from your computer to an online bulletin board or network.
- ___The database is the main circuit board of the computer.
- ___At work, I can download files from the Internet much faster than at home because I have more bitmap.
- ___A firewall is used to protect a private network from unauthorized access.
Choosing the Right Word
Circle the word in bold that best completes the sentence.
- At work, I have a(n) (application, workstation) that is much faster than my computer at home.
- I saved the image I created in my design program as a (bitmap, cookie) so I could open it again in a different program.
- When my mother first used a computer, she had difficulty seeing the (cache, cursor), but now that she is used to it, she knows to look for a blinking line.
- He studied (encryption, information technology) and became an expert at deciphering secret codes used to protect hidden information.
- When doing research, it is useful to come up with several (keywords, plug-ins) you can use to find articles and websites about your topic
- I wasn't able to view the video on the website because I didn't have the necessary (plug-in, bitmap) on my computer.
- My boss asked me to create a (server, database) of all of our business contacts and clients so all of the contact information would be organized and easy to retrieve.
- My friend sent me a funny animated cartoon, but when I opened it, a window popped up on the screen. It said I didn't have the right (plug-in, cookie) to play the cartoon, but that I could download it for free from another website.
- My sister got a job in the (Ethernet, information technology) department at a financial services company, so now she helps fix computer problems in the office and helps people use their computers more effectively for their work.
- The (motherboard, server) is the computer at work that manages all of our network resources, so when there is a problem with it, we can't share files with other computers or work on the website.
Match the word in the first column with the corresponding word in the second column.
- search engine a. process of copying files from an online source to your computer
- motherboard b. process of copying files from your computer to an online or network location
- workstation c. word used to specify particular file or record
- application d. a system to protect a private network from outside access
- cache e. main circuit board of a computer
- database f. a group of computers linked together
- upload g. a representation in rows and columns of dots of an image in computer memory
- server h. stored and organized information that is easily retrievable
- firewall i. information stored in a Web browser and sent to a server when the browser contacts that server
- bandwidth j. translation of information into a secret code
- cursor k. program used to search for websites or documents containing a given keyword
- Ethernet l. a high-speed computer used in work environments
- plug-in m. protocol used to connect two or more computers to each other
- network n. a module that adds a specific feature to a larger system
- information technology o. subject of anything concerning processing or managing information
- bitmap p. the capacity for data transfer at a given time
- cookie q. a program that performs a certain task on a computer
- download r. a computer on a network that manages all of the network resources
- encryption s. a high-speed storage mechanism used to store frequently accessed information
- keyword t. blinking line on computer screen
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development