Reading Text Clues Study Guide
Reading Text Clues
In this lesson, you'll discover some ways that authors try to help you find and better understand the information they present.
TEXT FEATURES ARE special ways authors present information to help their readers better understand the material. You might say these features are like maps— they help you find your way through a maze of information! Fiction selections have features, but more about them later. Right now, we'll concentrate on the text features you find in nonfiction.
Skim and scan books and articles for any features before you begin to read. They can help you predict what the selection is about and what you can expect to get out of reading it. Planning ahead like this as an active reader can help you not only increase your understanding of what you read, but retain the information longer.
Practice exercises for this study guide can be found at:
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Curriculum Definition
- Theories of Learning
- Child Development Theories
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- 8 Things First-Year Students Fear About College