Types of Rocks Practice Questions
Review the following concepts: Types of Rocks Study Guide
1. Which of the following are the two most abundant elements in Earth's crust?
a. silicon and iron
b. oxygen and calcium
c. calcium and iron
d. oxygen and silicon
2. Here is the chemical formula for the basic molecular unit of the mineral called olivine: Mg2SiO4. How many atoms are in the mineral's basic molecular unit?
3. The technique of rubbing a mineral on an unglazed porcelain plate is used to tell about what property of a mineral?
4. An example of a network made of exactly repeating basic parts is called which of the following?
5. Which is true about the numbers of parts in an atom?
a. Electrons equal neutrons.
b. Protons equal neutrons.
c. Protons equal electrons.
d. Nuclei equal electrons.
6. The sedimentary rock called conglomerate is made from cemented what?
7. What is the secret to why so much sedimentary rock is found at Earth's surface?
a. It formed underwater.
b. It formed through extrusion.
c. It formed during plate tectonics.
d. It was fast cooling.
8. Which of the following is igneous rock?
9. Geologists who seek evidence for origin of life on Earth will search in what kind of rock?
10. The type of rock that forms at the point of contact where magma wells up and intrudes into another previous kind of rock is called what?
1. d. oxygen and silicon
2. a. 7
3. a. streak
4. c. crystal
5. c. Protons equal electrons.
6. d. gravel
7. c. It formed by plate tectonics.
8. d. basalt
9. b. sedimentary
10. b. metamorphic
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Social Cognitive Theory
- First Grade Sight Words List
- GED Math Practice Test 1