American Economic Development Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
1. European immigrants to the United States almost always settled in the North because of ________________
A. the climate.
B. the economic opportunities.
C. their opposition to slavery.
D. their ignorance of farming.
2. ______________ was the primary reason that so many Irish emigrated to the United States in the 1840s.
A. Famine and starvation
B. Political conflict between Ireland and England
C. The desire for religious self-determination
D. The high cost of living in Ireland
3. Which best defines the term nativism?
A. belief in the civil rights of American Indians
B. support for the cause of abolition
C. the belief that people born in the United States should have more rights than immigrants
D. support for the American System of Henry Clay
4. Henry Clay’s economic program contained support for all these except ___________________
A. a national bank.
B. government-controlled industry.
C. protective tariff s on imports.
D. construction of roads, canals, and railways.
5. What primarily motivated middle-class American women to begin fighting for equality?
A. concern over the plight of urban workers
B. disapproval of slavery in the South
C. boredom with their enforced idleness
D. the desire to become wealthy
6. Southerners opposed the Tariff Acts because ____________________
A. they did not want to ship cotton north to the textile mills.
B. they were afraid that Europeans would raise the tariff on American cotton.
C. they did not want to abolish slavery.
D. they did not support the creation of a national transportation network.
7. The doctrine of nullification states that ____________________
A. any free American man over 21 has the right to vote.
B. no state has to obey a federal law that it believes to be unconstitutional.
C. only the Supreme Court can judge whether a law is constitutional.
D. no state can charge a tariff on goods manufactured in another state.
8. What caused the Panic of 1819?
A. congressional refusal to renew the charter of the Bank of the United States
B. the government’s creation of the Second Bank of the United States
C. the sudden rise in immigration from northern Europe
D. the inability of state banks to repay federal loans
9. A national bank exists for all these purposes except ___________________
A. to maintain a standard national currency.
B. to fund the services provided by the federal government.
C. to stabilize the national economy.
D. to tax imported goods.
10. During the wave of mid-nineteenth-century immigration, the Germans had an easier time than the Irish because _____________
A. they arrived with more money.
B. most of them were Lutherans.
C. they had been farmers in Europe.
D. they spoke better English.
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing