The American Revolution Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The American Revolution
- The Shot Heard Round the World
- The Battle of Bunker Hill
- The Colonies Declare Independence
- Battles of the Revolutionary War
- The 1783 Treaty of Paris
1. The Americans won the Battle of Trenton because ___________________
A. they were better equipped.
B. they outnumbered the enemy.
C. they caught the enemy by surprise.
D. their troops were more experienced.
2. ____________________ played a strategic role in the American victory at Saratoga.
A. Benedict Arnold
B. George Washington
C. John Adams
D. Thomas Paine
3. Northern delegates agreed to strike a passage referring to slavery from the Declaration of Independence because ___________________
A. they didnot believe it was the right time to free the slaves.
B. they supported the institution of slavery.
C. most of them were slaveholders.
D. they wanted the southerners to vote in favor of independence.
4. ______________________asked the British monarch to resolve the dispute between the colonies and Parliament.
A. The Declaration of Independence
B. The Olive Branch Petition
C. Common Sense
D. The Declaration of the Causes and Necessity of Taking Up Arms
5. The British army surrendered to the Americans in _______________________, ending the war.
A. New Jersey
6. The British army marched to Concord in 1775 in order to _____________________
A. take possession of a cache of weapons.
B. lay siege to the city of Boston.
C. fight the American minute men on the village green.
D. capture the men of the Second Continental Congress.
7. What was the purpose of the Declaration of Independence?
A. to explain why the Americans wanted their freedom from Great Britain
B. to free the slaves throughout the American colonies
C. to provide the Continental Army with a cause to fight for
D. to resolve the dispute between Parliament and the colonies
8. In the 1783 Treaty of Paris, the United States agreed to _________________
A. cede part of its territory to France.
B. free its African slaves.
C. abandon its fight for independence.
D. repay its financial debt to Britain.
9. What important lesson did the American troops learn from the Native Americans?
A. to attack stealthily and take the enemy by surprise
B. to allow women to serve as soldiers
C. to switch sides depending o nindividual interest
D. to fight across open fields
10. The British plan was to occupy ________________, then crush the northern and southern colonies in turn.
B. New York
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- April Fools! The 10 Best Pranks to Play on Your Kids
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Problems With Standardized Testing
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Theories of Learning
- Nature and Nurture