The British Colonies Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The British Colonies
- Economic Opportunity in the Colonial Life
- Religious Self-Determination - The New England Theocracy
- Religious Self-Determination- The Dissenters of the Colonial Life
1. After 1732, British debtors could emigrate to _______________ and begin again with a clean slate.
B. the Carolinas
2. In the 1600s, the colonies of Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay were known for ____________________
A. separation between church and state.
B. wars of religion.
C. lack of religious freedom.
D. a series of judicial murders.
3. The Mayflower Compact is best described as _____________________
B. a constitution.
C. a set of religious commandments.
D. an official letter.
4. The original motive for the founding of Connecticut was ______________________
A. religious dissent from Puritan worship.
B. economic opportunity.
C. desire for a milder climate.
D. desire to avoid contact with hostile Native Americans.
5. __________________ established the colony of Rhode Island.
B. Thomas Hooker
D. William Penn
6. The colonists justified the practice of slavery on all the following grounds except __________________
7. Why was slavery much more widespread in the southern colonies than in the northern?
A. because of the types of crops grown
B. because of the different constitutions in each colony
C. because the North was industrial rather than agricultural
D. because more immigrants settled in the North
8. What was the main consequence of Bacon’s Rebellion?
A. Slavery was established throughout the British colonies.
B. Native Americans and European settlers agreed to share the arable land.
C. European settlers were allowed to grab American-Indian lands for farming.
D. Harsh slave codes went into effect in the southern colonies.
9. All of the following resulted directly from the union of church and state in Massachusetts except ______________
A. Anne Hutchinson’s departure for Rhode Island.
B. the founding of Yale College.
C. Thomas Hooker’s establishment of the Connecticut colony.
D. the establishment of the transatlantic slave trade.
10. Which best describes the government of Massachusetts in the 1600s?
A. a theocracy
B. a democracy
D. a corporation
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development