The New Frontier and the Civil Rights Movement Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The New Frontier and the Civil Rights Movement
- The Election of 1960
- Foreign Policy During 1960-1964
- The Civil Rights Movement
- Kennedy’s Assassination
1. What was the purpose of the Berlin Airlift?
A. to get supplies to West Berlin in spite of the blockade
B. to help people escape from East Berlin or East Germany
C. to return German refugees to their homes after the war
D. to provide aid to nations behind the Iron Curtain
2. One important reason for the Allied occupation of Germany was _______________
A. to help Germany rearm.
B. to discuss plans for the United Nations.
C. to obliterate all surviving elements of Nazism.
D. to divide the country into two independent nations.
3. The Berlin Wall was built in order to ________________
A. prevent Westerners from entering East Berlin.
B. prevent East Germans from entering West Berlin.
C. block Allied or Western access to West Berlin.
D. prevent violence from breaking out in Berlin.
4. The main reason that public opinion outside the South turned against the segregationists was _______________
A. the segregationists’ violent and brutal behavior toward the peaceful protestors.
B. the protestors’ threat to take up arms against the segregationists.
C. the active participation of white people in the protest movement.
D. the threat that the United States would once again be torn apart by a civil war.
5. Which best describes the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)?
A. an underground paramilitary organization
B. an organization of black college students
C. an association of black churches
D. a national political party
6. The Civil Rights protest groups modeled their nonviolent philosophy on the teachings of ______________
7. The sit-ins of the late 1950s focused on ________________
A. desegregation of restaurants.
B. the elimination of voting restrictions.
C. integration of the public schools.
D. integration of the armed forces.
8. The “I Have a Dream” speech alluded to all these moments in U.S. history except ______________
A. Marian Anderson’s 1939 concert at the Lincoln Memorial.
B. Abraham Lincoln’s delivery of the Gettysburg Address.
C. the repeal of Prohibition.
D. the Declaration of Independence.
9. Which event marked a major turning point toward peace in the Cold War?
A. the Berlin Airlift
B. the building of the Berlin Wall
C. the Bay of Pigs invasion
D. the resolution of the Cuban Missile Crisis
10. All these people played major roles in the Civil Rights movement except __________________
A. Martin Luther King, Jr.
B. Jesse Jackson.
C. Medgar Evers.
D. Richard Nixon.
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing