The Civil War Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The Civil War
- President Abraham Lincoln
- Strengths and Weaknesses of North and South and the Civil War
- The Start of the Civil War
- The Union Takes the Mississippi River During the Civil War
- The Army of the Potomac
- The Emancipation Proclamation
- Gettysburg - the Turning Point in the Civil War
- The War of Attrition
- The Assassination of Lincoln
1. _________________was the last Civil War battle fought in Union territory.
B. Manassas/Bull Run
2. In 1861, the Union had all the following advantages over the Confederacy except _________________
A. better military commanders.
B. a larger population from which to draw troops.
C. control of most of the nation’s heavy industry.
D. more money in the treasury.
3. Which new state was created from territory that seceded from the Confederacy?
D. West Virginia
4. The Confederate Army might have won the war quickly if it had __________________ in 1861.
A. marched on Washington, DC
B. captured Richmond, Virginia
C. defeated the Army of the Potomac
D. assassinated President Lincoln
5. The Emancipation Proclamation ______________________
A. freed all slaves in the Union.
B. freed all slaves in the Confederacy.
C. freed all slaves serving in the Union Army.
D. freed all slaves serving in the Confederate Army.
6. ___________________ enabled the Union troops to win the Battle of Gettysburg.
A. Lincoln’s delivery of the Gettysburg Address
B. Outnumbering the Confederate troops
C. Maintaining control of the high ground
D. Having greater skill than the Confederate troops
7. The taking of _______________________ in 1864 helped to ensure Lincoln’s reelection that fall.
8. The Confederacy hoped for aid from France and Britain because they _____________________
A. were slave-owning nations.
B. depended on the American cotton crop.
C. earned profi ts in the slave trade.
D. supported the breakup of the United States into two smaller and weaker nations.
9. __________________ provoked the Union into a formal declaration of war on the Confederacy.
A. The secession of South Carolina
B. The march on Washington, DC
C. The invasion of Pennsylvania
D. The attack on Fort Sumter
10. __________________ made Britain decide not to form an alliance with the Confederacy.
A. The defeat at Antietam
B. The delivery of the Gettysburg Address
C. The issuing of the Emancipation Proclamation
D. The assassination of Lincoln
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Child Development Theories
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Theories of Learning