The Great Depression Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The Great Depression
- The Stock Market Crash of 1929
- Hoover’s Response to the Great Depression
- Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt and the Great Depression
- The Early Phases of the New Deal
- The Second New Deal
- The Dust Bowl
- Escape During the Great Depression
1. An economic depression occurs when ______________
A. wages and prices rise and unemployment falls.
B. wages and prices fall and unemployment rises.
C. wages, prices, and unemployment all rise together.
D. wages, prices, and unemployment all fall together.
2. Why did Congress grant President Roosevelt special powers at the start of his first term?
A. because the Great Depression was a serious national crisis
B. because Roosevelt was elected in a landslide
C. because Congress and Roosevelt represented opposing political parties
D. because he was related to former president Theodore Roosevelt
3. First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt was especially active on the issue of _______________
A. foreign aff airs.
B. civil rights.
C. the domestic economy.
D. women’s rights.
4. The Grapes of Wrath describes the experiences of _________________
A. farmers migrating westward in search of work.
B. African Americans moving north to fi nd jobs.
C. people relying on breadlines in major cities.
D. New Deal workers building bridges and highways.
5. Which industry continued to pay high salaries and earn profits during the Great Depression?
A. the agricultural industry
B. the banking industry
C. the livestock industry
D. the motion-picture industry
6. Dorothea Lange is a notable American in the field of _________________
C. big business.
7. Conservatives who opposed FDR’s New Deal policies claimed that he _________________
A. was destroying big business and free enterprise.
B. was not providing enough new jobs.
C. had failed to combat the rise of unemployment.
D. did not pass enough civil rights legislation.
8. Hoover took all these steps to combat the Great Depression except _______________
A. funding public works projects.
B. establishing the Federal Farm Board.
C. reorganizing the banking system.
D. buying up surplus farm crops.
9. The New Deal had all of these major goals and objectives except ________________
A. to bring immediate relief to the unemployed by providing money, jobs, or both.
B. to help the economy recover.
C. to provide universal employment throughout the United States.
D. to restructure the banking and business systems to prevent a future economic crash.
10. The term Hooverville _________________
A. is a nickname for the White House during Hoover’s administration.
B. refers to a community of homemade shacks housing the unemployed.
C. is a derogatory reference to Congress in the Hoover administration.
D. refers to the stock market on the day of the 1929 crash.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Teaching Your Kids About Ramadan