The Jazz Age Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The Jazz Age
- The Arts in the 1920s
- Politics in the 1920s
- The Rise of the Flapper in the 1920s
- The Rise of the Automobile in the 1920s
- The Black Sox Scandal and Prohibition
- The Scopes Trial
1. The term flapper refers to which of the following?
A. a liberated young woman
B. an organized criminal
C. a jazz musician
D. an artist of the Harlem Renaissance
2. The Lost Generation artists felt “lost” because of ________________
A. the passage of the Eighteenth Amendment.
B. the persistence of segregation in the United States.
C. their faith in the eternal power of romance.
D. their experiences during World War I.
3. Warren G. Harding became president because he made ________________ a priority.
A. foreign affairs
B. social reform
C. the domestic economy
D. women’s rights
4. Assembly-line production had all these advantages except __________________
A. it reduced the costs of manufacture.
B. it doubled the output of the factory.
C. it increased worker satisfaction.
D. it made goods available at lower prices.
5. Prohibition had all the following effects except _________________
A. stopping Americans from drinking alcoholic beverages.
B. increasing the profi ts in organized crime.
C. creating a national atmosphere of scoffing at laws.
D. causing major outbreaks of gang violence.
6. On what grounds did William Jennings Bryan and his followers oppose the theory of evolution?
A. support for rival scientific theories
B. the testimony of professional scientists
C. literal belief in certain statements in the Bible
D. sympathy with the influence of the Enlightenment
7. Which of the following is a notable figure of the Harlem Renaissance?
A. Clarence Darrow
B. Langston Hughes
C. F. Scott Fitzgerald
D. Al Capone
8. Calvin Coolidge was reelected in 1924 because of _________________
A. his foreign policy.
B. his opposition to Prohibition.
C. the country’s economic prosperity.
D. his support for social programs.
9. All of these people except _____________ were important authors who were members of the Lost Generation.
A. Ernest Hemingway
B. John Dos Passos
C. Dorothy Parker
D. Duke Ellington
10. Which best describes the Republican economic theory during the 1920s?
A. If wages rise, workers will spend more money and thus benefit the economy.
B. If taxes on the wealthy are lowered, their spending will stimulate the economy.
C. If businesses form trusts, wages and prices will go down.
D. If tariff s are put into place, businesses will lower production.
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Child Development Theories
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- Social Cognitive Theory
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- First Grade Sight Words List