The Nixon Era and Watergate Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The Nixon Era and Watergate
- Richard Nixon and the 1968 Election
- Domestic and Foreign Policy Under Nixon
- Watergate and the Washington Post
- The 1972 Election
- The Watergate Affair
1. The Supreme Court ruled that President Nixon had to give the Oval Offi ce tapes to the federal grand jury on the principle of _______________________
A. executive privilege.
B. due process of law.
C. separation of powers.
D. popular sovereignty.
2. Ford’s pardon of Nixon protected Nixon from ___________________
B. being tried by a civil court.
C. resignation from the presidency.
D. having to obey a grand jury subpoena.
3. As a result of a meeting between Nixon and Soviet leader Brezhnev, the two nations agreed ________________
A. to limit their stockpiles of nuclear weapons.
B. to sign an alliance with China.
C. to defend one another if either one was attacked.
D. to withdraw their troops from Vietnam.
4. Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward are important figures in history because they _________________
A. broke into Democratic Party headquarters in the Watergate buildings.
B. exposed crimes committed by the Nixon White House in the national press.
C. revealed the existence of a tape-recording system in the Oval Office.
D. posed as Democratic campaigners for the purpose of sabotage.
5. Why did Edmund Muskie lose support in the 1972 presidential election?
A. because he did not have a large enough power base
B. because he did not suggest a solution to the war in Vietnam
C. because Republican sabotage provoked him into an emotional display
D. because the Democrats had no other candidates
6. Nixon resigned the presidency specifically in order to __________________
A. fulfill a bargain he had made with Gerald Ford.
B. support former Vice President Spiro Agnew.
C. avoid impeachment for high crimes committed while in office.
D. avoid being tried in the civil courts.
7. Nixon offered to __________________ if Zhou Enlai would agree to withdraw Chinese troops from Vietnam.
A. defend China if it were invaded by hostile troops
B. broker a peace agreement between China and the Soviet Union
C. cut back the American stockpile of nuclear weapons
D. withdraw U.S. troops from Taiwan
8. Which best describes the Arab nations’ attitude toward the United States during the Nixon years?
A. friendly because the United States was a major purchaser of Arab oil
B. resentful because of consistent U.S. support for Israel
C. hostile because the United States was trying to develop alternative sources of power
D. cordial because of the U.S. role in liberating North Africa during World War II
9. Nixon most probably owed his election in 1968 to the fact that __________________
A. he spent more money than his opponents.
B. he offered a promise of peace and stability.
C. he appealed to the younger generation.
D. he had a great deal of experience in politics.
10. The term counterculture refers to which of the following?
A. the lifestyle of alienated American young people
B. negative campaigning and dirty tricks
C. persistent press coverage using anonymous sources
D. environmental legislation
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Grammar Lesson: Complete and Simple Predicates
- Definitions of Social Studies
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Social Cognitive Theory
- How to Practice Preschool Letter and Name Writing
- Theories of Learning