Reconstruction and the Civil War Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- Reconstruction and the Civil War
- Reconstruction After the Civil War Under Lincoln and Johnson
- Radical Reconstruction After the Civil War
- The Impeachment of Andrew Johnson
- The Election of 1868 and 1876
- The Rise of Jim Crow Laws
1. Congress impeached President Andrew Johnson because _____________________
A. he opposed legislation favorable to African Americans.
B. he committed high crimes and misdemeanors.
C. he succeeded Abraham Lincoln as president.
D. he had fought on the Confederate side during the Civil War.
2. The Reconstruction Acts of 1867 called for ___________________
A. separate but equal institutions and public facilities for African Americans.
B. freeing of all slaves throughout the United States.
C. setting aside seats in the U.S. Congress specifi cally for African Americans.
D. military occupation of the former Confederate states.
3. What was the purpose of the Freedmen’s Bureau?
A. to abolish slavery
B. to off er aid to former slaves
C. to retaliate against white mob violence
D. to reorganize plantations with paid laborers
4. Many leaders of the women’s suff rage movement did not support the Fifteenth Amendment because ____________
A. it explicitly denied women the right to vote.
B. it gave black women, but not white women, the right to vote.
C. it did not give women the right to vote.
D. it denied former slaves the right to vote.
5. _________________ helped to counter the Ku Klux Klan’s terrorist tactics.
A. The Reconstruction Acts
B. The Enforcement Acts
C. The Fourteenth Amendment
D. The Fifteenth Amendment
6. As a result of the Compromise of 1877, Congress agreed ___________________
A. to accept the passage of Black Codes throughout the old Confederacy.
B. to select a Democratic candidate as president in a disputed election.
C. to prohibit segregation and discrimination in public places.
D. to withdraw federal troops from the former Confederate states.
7. The Supreme Court case Plessy v. Ferguson established the principle of _______________
A. poll taxes and literacy tests.
B. the crop-lien system.
C. separate but equal facilities for African Americans.
D. full civil rights for African Americans.
8. Jim Crow laws were designed to ________________
A. balance representation in local and state legislatures in the South.
B. deprive African Americans of their basic civil rights.
C. encourage African Americans to vote.
D. force southern states to comply with the civil rights amendments.
9. ________________________ caused the Republican Party to lose support among the voters.
A. The Panic of 1873
B. The passage of the civil rights amendments
C. The election of Samuel Tilden
D. The funding of the Freedmen’s Bureau
10. Rutherford B. Hayes became president as a result of ______________________
A. the Panic of 1873.
B. the Compromise of 1877.
C. the impeachment of Andrew Johnson.
D. the Civil Rights Act of 1875.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
SUMMER LEARNINGJune Workbooks Are Here!
TECHNOLOGYAre Cell Phones Dangerous for Kids?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner