The Vietnam War Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- The Vietnam War
- Background on Vietnam
- The Vietnam War Expands
- Protest and Dissent at Home During the Vietnam War
- The Tet Offensive
- Vietnam War Under the Nixon Administration
- The End of the Vietnam War
1. Diem refused to hold elections in 1956 because _____________________
A. he did not trust the United States.
B. he did not believe in the possibility of civil war.
C. he had not participated in the Geneva Accords.
D. he believed that he would lose to Ho.
2. The Tonkin Gulf Resolution gave the president the power to take all necessary measures to _______________
A. attack any foreign nation.
B. sign peace treaties with foreign nations.
C. repel foreign attacks on the U.S. military.
D. amend the Constitution.
3. ________________ inspired Congress to repeal the Tonkin Gulf Resolution.
A. The Kent State massacre
B. The bombing of Cambodia
C. The election of Richard Nixon
D. The release of the Pentagon Papers
4. The Tet Offensive proved to the United States that ____________________
A. the Vietnamese would eventually gain their independence.
B. the Viet Minh and the Viet Cong would never surrender.
C. the war could not be won without bombing Cambodia.
D. it would have to send more troops to Vietnam.
5. Which best describes the effect of television coverage of the war on the American public?
A. It made the public aware that the White House was not being honest about the situation.
B. It helped the public to understand the issues over which the war was being fought.
C. It rallied the public in support of the war.
D. It discouraged the public from taking any part in the political process.
6. All these combined to make the United States launch a 1964 air attack on North Vietnam except _____________
A. misinformation from the navy in the Gulf of Tonkin.
B. an untrue or exaggerated statement made to the American press.
C. campaign pressure on Lyndon Johnson to appear bold and decisive.
D. official requests for U.S. aid from South Vietnam.
7. The purpose of Operation Rolling Thunder was ___________________
A. to defend the capital city of South Vietnam.
B. to retaliate for the assassination of Diem.
C. to win a victory quickly.
D. to destroy North Vietnam.
8. All of the following contributed to the antiwar movement except __________________
A. fear that the war would escalate into a nuclear conflict.
B. television coverage that showed exactly what combat was like.
C. the release of the Pentagon Papers.
D. the passage of the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.
9. By secretly bombing Cambodia, Nixon violated the constitutional principle of ________________
A. separation of powers.
B. judicial review.
C. national security.
D. freedom of information.
10. Which best describes the official end to the war as far as the U.S. role was concerned?
A. The United States surrendered to North Vietnam.
B. The United States withdrew as part of a cease-fire agreement.
C. The United States defeated North Vietnam.
D. U.S. troops continued to occupy South Vietnam until reunification.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- First Grade Sight Words List