Westward Expansion Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- Westward Expansion
- Westward Migration
- The Republic of Texas
- The Mexican War
- The Election of 1848
- California Gold
- The Compromise of 1850
- The Indian Frontier
1. The Mexican War was fought over the issue of __________________
A. territorial control.
C. Indians’ rights.
2. What happened at the Alamo in 1836?
A. The Mexican army defeated the Texan rebels.
B. The Texan rebels gained independence for Texas.
C. The U.S. army defeated the Mexican army.
D. The Mexican army defeated the U.S. army.
3. The United States bought territory in _________________ in the Gadsden Purchase of 1853.
A. the Great Plains
B. the Northwest
C. the Southwest
D. the Caribbean
4. Northerners agreed to pass the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 in exchange for __________________
A. the purchase of the Mexican Cession.
B. the establishment of the Underground Railroad.
C. the Fort Laramie conference on the status of the Plains Indians.
D. the admission of California as a free U.S. state.
5. As a result of the Fort Laramie conference, Indians vacated the area that later became the states of ______________
A. North and South Dakota.
B. New Mexico and Arizona.
C. Kansas and Nebraska.
D. Texas and Oklahoma.
6. As a result of the Mexican War, the United States gained all the following future states except ______________
7. Americans were eager to settle Texas in the 1820s primarily because ____________________
A. Texas was a slaveholding state.
B. Texas was an independent republic.
C. they wanted Mexican citizenship.
D. the land was inexpensive to buy.
8. The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 made it legal to __________________
A. work on the Underground Railroad.
B. help any slave escape to a free state.
C. gain freedom by crossing the border into a free state.
D. deny an accused slave the right to testify in his or her own defense.
9. What was the purpose of the Underground Railroad?
A. to ease overcrowding on city streets
B. to help slaves escape to freedom
C. to encourage westward migration
D. to make transport of goods more efficient
10. After the Compromise of 1850, many African Americans fled to ________________
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development