Westward Movement Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- Westward Movement
- Conflicts with Indians in the Great Plains
- Settling the Plains and the West
- Farming, Ranching, and Mining During the Westward Movement
1. Alaska Territory proved a profi table purchase because it was rich in _________________
D. fur-bearing animals.
2. The roundup refers to the process of _______________
A. branding cattle as proof of ownership.
B. gathering cattle together and sorting them by their brands.
C. herding cattle across the plains to Kansas.
D. allowing cattle to graze freely on the open range.
3. Which two immigrant groups laid most of the track for the transcontinental railroad?
A. Chinese and Irish
B. Irish and Italian
C. German and Czech
D. African and Chinese
4. ____________________ stated that a person could keep up to 160 acres of land if he or she farmed it for fi ve years.
A. The Morrill Act
B. The Pacifi c Railway Act
C. The Homestead Act
D. The Government Land Act
5. The ___________________ were killed in large numbers at the Wounded Knee Massacre.
6. The United States took back Sioux lands in the Black Hills because ______________________
A. they had found a better place for a Plains Indian reservation.
B. it was too diffi cult to ship supplies to the Black Hills.
C. the land turned out to have deposits of gold.
D. the Sioux refused to stay in the Black Hills.
7. What happened at the Battle of the Little Bighorn?
A. All the Sioux were killed.
B. All the American troops were killed.
C. Sioux chief Sitting Bull was shot.
D. The Sioux made peace with the U.S. troops.
8. The transcontinental railroad was completed __________________
A. before the Civil War.
B. during the fi rst year of the Civil War.
C. near the end of the Civil War.
D. after the Civil War.
9. Former southern slaves traveled west for all these reasons except ________________
A. to escape Jim Crow laws passed during Reconstruction.
B. to fi nd well-paid jobs on the railroad.
C. to claim homesteads.
D. to work in factories.
10. Why did the government establish the Department of Agriculture?
A. to address the lack of timber and water in the Great Plains
B. to settle disputes between cattle ranchers and sheep ranchers
C. to oversee homesteaders’ claims to land
D. to resolve confl icts between ranchers and farmers
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Definitions of Social Studies