World War II Practice Test
Review the following study guides if necessary:
- World War II
- American Neutrality
- German Expansionism and the Outbreak of World War II
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Reelected During World War II
- The United States Enters the World War II
- Military Campaigns in Europe During World War II
- The War in Europe 1943–1944
- The Invasion of Normandy
- Surrender in Europe V-E Day
- War in the Pacific
- Nuclear War Against Japan
- Results of World War II
1. The Soviet Union joined the Allied nations in 1941 because ____________________
A. Germany invaded Poland.
B. Germany reneged on the nonaggression pact.
C. the United States entered the war.
D. Italy entered the war.
2. Why did the Germans fail to prevent the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944?
A. They did not believe the Allies intended to invade France.
B. They were concentrating on winning the war at sea.
C. They already knew that they would lose the war.
D. They expected the Allies to invade at a different location.
3. Which European nation suffered by far the heaviest losses in the war?
D. the Soviet Union
4. Truman ordered the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in order to _________________
A. force an immediate Japanese surrender.
B. test the capabilities of the atomic bomb.
C. persuade the Soviets to take part in the war against Japan.
D. avenge American losses in the Pacific theater of war.
5. _________________ was the catalyst that brought the United States into World War II.
A. The German and Soviet invasions of Poland
B. The German bombing of Britain
C. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor
D. The forced march from Bataan
6. When the Americans arrived in Europe, they began a concerted war effort ________________
A. on the eastern front.
B. on the Western Front.
C. in North Africa.
D. in the Balkans.
7. ________________________ was the site of a major battle between the U.S. Marines and the Japanese.
B. The Argonne Forest
8. Why did the United States force Japanese Americans who were Pacific Coast residents into internment camps in 1942?
A. documentary proof that Japan had been trying to recruit them as spies
B. as a gesture of revenge for the Japanese attack on Hawaii
C. race-based fears that they would be more loyal to Japan than to the United States
D. to protect them from the threat of future attacks
9. As a result of the Potsdam Conference, Germany was ___________________ after the war.
A. occupied by Allied armed forces
B. destroyed by atomic bombs
C. made a member of the United Nations
D. ordered to disband its entire military force
10. The United States and ______________ were the only two combatants to emerge from the war as major world powers.
D. the Soviet Union
Today on Education.com
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- First Grade Sight Words List