Their Role in the Development of Children and Adolescents
Many games are appropriate for children of all ages. Many others are not so appropriate. Learn to tell the difference, as well as the benefits and hazards.
Video Game Addiction
Video Game Benefits
Video Games and the Brain
- What skills can children learn from video games?
- What do violent video games teach children?
- Are there any benefits to playing video games?
- How can I learn about and remember the (ESRB) video game ratings?
- Do video games have parental controls?
- What is the difference between traditional console gaming and newer online gaming?
- How are video games both similar to and different from other forms of media?
- How many hours of media per day is it ok for children to be exposed to?
- What is the average amount of time per week American children play video games?
- At what age is it ok for children to be exposed to the media?
- Do video games lower academic performance?
- What can I do to limit video game playing today?
- How would decreasing gaming time affect my child socially?
- What does neuroimaging tell us about the effects of violent video games on brain functioning?
- Is there a relationship between attention/hyperactivity problems in children and exposure to media?
- How does gaming affect my child’s physical health?
- Why are boys so attracted to video games?
- Why is video gaming addictive and what are the core charateristics of addiction?
- What are some signs your child is engaging in uncontrolled or unreasonable use of video or computer games?
- What are some tips to make sure video game playing remains a positive experience?
Are your kids video game fanatics? If so, you're not alone. Studies show that the overwhelming majority of American kids...Source: Video Game Special Edition Contributor
"Girls don't really like to play video games." "Only so-called unpopular girls are drawn to gaming." "Girls don't have...Source: Video Game Special Edition Contributor
In the 21st century, being a parent means having to deal with buying, monitoring, and negotiating about video games. A...Source: Video Game Special Edition Contributor
Over the past 20 years, video games have become increasingly popular in American culture. During this time video games...Source: Video Game Special Edition Contributor
What really is the harm in playing video games? So far, we have focused mostly on the effects of playing violent games...Source: GuardingKids.com
Her experience as a clinical child psychologist led her to be interested in the effects of violence on children. Dr Brockmyer is especially interested in relationships between exposure to media violence and empathy, attitudes towards violence, and desensitization to violence.
Editors: Kimberly Burkhart, M.A., Jacquelyn N. Pidruzny, M.A. & Denise Daniels, Ph.D.