The Wedge A wedge is an inclined plane that tapers to a sharp edge. It is used to increase force. Double wedges are...
A basic understanding of the characteristics and behavior of fire is important to anyone aspiring to be a firefighter....
SUMMARY Mechanical aptitude is tested on many firefighter exams. This chapter will familiarize you with commonly tested...Source: LearningExpress, LLC
Gears are toothed wheels that are meshed together to transmit a twisting force (torque) and motion. They are usually...
The inclined plane—a slanted surface raised at one end—is a simple machine that does not move. It is used to lift...
Depending on what position you are testing for, your firefighter exam may also include a section testing your ability to...Source: LearningExpress, LLC
The work of first responders is difficult, to say the least. Emotions run high during fire and emergency incidents....
Archimedes (ca. 287–212 BC), the great Sicilian inventor, physicist, mathematician, and engineer, is credited with...
The Wheel and Axle The wheel and axle is another type of simple machine that moves objects across distances. Wheels...
- The Wheel, Axle and the Pulley Study Guide for McGraw-Hill's Firefighter Exams
- Gear and Belt Drive Systems Study Guide for McGraw-Hill's Firefighter Exams
- Becoming a Firefighter: Psychological Tests for Firefighters
- Mechanical Aptitude for Firefighter Exam Study Guide
- Reading Tables, Graphs, and Charts for Firefighter Exam Study Guide