Nature Deficit Disorder
The Critical Role of Environmental Education for your Child’s Future
Nature Deficit Disorder is not a medical condition — it describes our lack of a relationship to the environment. It hurts our children, our families, our communities, and our environment. Luckily, the cure starts in our own backyards.
What is Nature Deficit Disorder (NDD)?
What Should Every Parent Know about Nature Deficit Disorder?
Potential Consequences of NDD
School Based Solutions
Community Based Solutions
Your Backyard: Remembering How It Used To Be and How To Enjoy It Today
NDD in a Nutshell - Quick Facts
- What is Nature Deficit Disorder?
- How do we know Nature Deficit Disorder is a problem in today’s society?
- How can I prevent Nature Deficit Disorder in my kids?
- Is NDD linked to obesity?
- Is my child spending an unhealthy amount of time in front of the screen?
- What is Environmental Education?
- Why is Environmental Education important?
- What does Environmental Education do for children?
- What is No Child Left Inside?
- How does being outside help my child stay healthy?
- How do I get my kid to learn about water sources and water conservation issues?
- How do I get my teenager off the phone or IM and outside?
- Am I overscheduling my child?
- Does being outside really help with Attention Deficit?
- How can I help my child grow up to be an environmentalist?
Great Articles From Our Nonprofit Partners
Spirituality and Nature
The Wilderness: Remembering How It Used To Be and How To Enjoy It Today
- Get Wild With Your Child on a Nature Scavenger Hunt
- Great Field Guides for Young and Old
- Using Field Guides with Your Children
- Let's Go Wading: Taking the Worry Out of Getting Wet
- Community Resources Teach Kids About Water and the Environment
- How to Use GPS Technology to Get Your Kids Outdoors
- Paddling as a Way to Explore Nature for Deaf and Hearing Children Alike
- A Sense of Place: Getting to Know Your Surroundings
There are many great field guides available that will make a walk or hike with your child both fun and educational. What...
K-12 students participating in environmental education programs at school do better on standardized tests in math,...Source: Education.com
For over fifty years, children have been taking part in a life-shaping week at the Glen Helen Schoolcamp in Southwestern...
I grew up in a small town well before the advent of video games and home computers. I played a lot outdoors in the...
Guest EditorMichael Bentley, Ed.D.
Michael L. Bentley retired from the Science Teacher Education Program at the University of Tennessee and now serves as Board Co-chair for Community High School, Roanoke, VA. He continues his work in science and environmental education.
Get ideas on helping your school go green and find LEED certified schools near you.