What You Need:
- Tall clear cup
- Plastic cups
- Rubbing alcohol
- Turkey baster
- Blue Dawn dish soap
- Light corn syrup
- Blue food coloring
- Vegetable oil
What You Do:
- Pour some rubbing alcohol into a plastic cup and place a few drops of blue food coloring into the cup until the liquid turns dark blue. Pour some water into a second plastic cup, and place green food coloring into the cup. Pour some corn syrup into a third cup and pour orange food coloring into it.
- Pour a thin layer of honey into the tall clear cup.
- Ask your child to slowly pour the corn syrup into the tall cup.
- Next, help your child add the dish soap mixture into the middle of the tall cup.
- Add the water to the tall cup using the turkey baster.
- Next, pour the vegetable oil into the tall cup.
- Lastly, add the rubbing alcohol into the tall cup using the baster. You should now have 6 different layers of liquid.
You’ll notice that the liquids don’t mix with each other! This is because they each have a different density. Corn syrup: 1.37. Water with food coloring: 1.00. Rubbing alcohol: 0.87. Dish soap: 1.03. Honey: 1.36. Vegetable Oil: 0.91. The varying densities allow you to form layers of liquids on top of each other, creating the visually stimulating display in your glass.