All About the Thirteen Colonies
Students will be able to name and label the thirteen colonies on a map.
- Ask your students if they know the names of the first thirteen states to become part of the United States.
- List the correct answers on the board.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(20 minutes)
- Show your students a poster sized United States map.
- Invite your students to come to the board and point out the first thirteen colonies on the map, one at a time.
- Have your students say each colony out loud three times.
- Have your students break down the name of each colony by syllables when they say the name of the colony out loud. This will help them with spelling.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(30 minutes)
- Instruct your students to complete the Colonial Word Search worksheet with a partner to gain familiarity with the names and spellings of the first thirteen colonies.
- After your students finish the word search, ask them to flip the word search.
- Direct your students to write the names of as many colonies as they can recall on the back.
- Have your students say the names of the colonies out loud as you point to them on the map.
Independent Working Time(30 minutes)
- Provide your students with a map of the thirteen colonies.
- Pass out paper to each student.
- Instruct your students to trace the map onto the white paper using tracing paper.
- Ask your students to use abbreviations to label the states.
- Direct your students to write the names of the thirteen colonies on the backside.
- Ask your students to color the map.
- Enrichment: Ask your students to pick a colony. Ask them to pick and read a book that talks about the colony they picked. Instruct your students to write 5 things about the colony that they learned from the book. Ask your students to draw a picture for each thing that they wrote about the colony.
- Support: Give your students a blank 13 colonies map. Instruct your students to label and cut out each colony. Have them put the pieces back together to create the map and repeat this process until they become familiar with the shape and size of each colony.
- Instruct your students to complete The 13 Colonies worksheet.
- Ask your students to study their maps before they complete this assessment.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- Play The Colonies Song.
- Use a projector so your students can read the lyrics out loud.
- Ask your students to take out their maps from independent practice and point to the states when the name of that state is mentioned in the video.