Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Comparing and Contrasting Cinderella Stories
Students will be able to compare and contrast two versions of the Cinderella story.
- Explain to students that they will be listening to a Cinderella story called The Rough-Face Girl.
- Have students recall key elements of the traditional Cinderella story and record them on the board or projector.
- To introduce tier 2 vocabulary, explain to the students that they will be using a vocabulary notebook to learn important words from the story before they listen to the text.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Display The Rough-Face Girl Vocabulary Notebook document on an overhead or projector.
- Explain to the students that they will fill out this notebook sheet so that they can understand the vocabulary in the book they will be listening to shortly.
- Read and model the Word, Definition, My Picture, and My Sentence columns of the notebook.
- Model the next word using the tier 2 vocabulary document.
- Explain to the students that they will be filling out the remainder of the notebook and display the tier 2 vocabulary document for the class to use. Have the students complete the "My Picture" and "My Sentence" columns on their own.
- Walk the room and monitor student work and help as needed.
Guided Practice(15 minutes)
- Read The Rough-Face Girl aloud.
- Pause and discuss vocabulary words from the Vocabulary Notebook while reading.
- Arrange the students into pairs.
- Have the students think-pair-share to discuss how The Rough-Face Girl and the traditional Cinderella story are alike and different.
- Walk the room and monitor conversations.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Hand out a copy of the Character Comparison document to each student.
- In pairs, have the students complete the document by writing at least 2 items in each section of the Venn Diagram.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students write 3 or more items in each Venn Diagram section.
- Support: Pair struggling students with a peer mentor.
- Informal assessment is the graded Character Comparison documents.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Have a representative from each pair of students present a written item from their Venn Diagram.
- Have each student present a different item until all of the items from the students' Venn Diagrams have been presented.