Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Decimal, Fractions: Number Line Riddles!
Students will be able to read, write, and compare decimals to thousandths using a number line.
- Show your students the number line from the first page of the Number Line Riddle worksheet.
- Have your class think, pair, and share a three-letter word and its corresponding fraction or decimal on the number line (an example might be "car," where c is 3/4 , a is 1/4 and r is 4 2/4 or 4.5). Note how the number line is missing certain whole numbers; it’s tricky!
- Let your students share out their answers with the whole class and challenge them to list both fraction and decimal form of their corresponding letters.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Explain that today’s lesson will be to perform the same task: find and state corresponding letters to fractions on the number line.
- Refer to the opening activity number line and have students identify the corresponding numbers for letters that spell out someone’s first name. (See introduction procedure for format.)
- Solve and answer any clarifying questions.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Hand out the Number Line Riddle worksheet, read the instructions, and lead your students to decode the first two words of the fun fact.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Answer any clarifying questions.
- Release your students to finish the remaining words and solution for the second riddle individually.
- Fill in the whole numbers on the number line as a whole class at the lesson opener.
- In small groups, begin the independent work time by adding fraction and decimal forms to the riddle number lines.
- Have students convert all numbers to decimals, and fractions in thousandths.
- Clips is a free user-friendly iOS app that lets you make easily shareable videos. This is a great resource for creating custom lesson opening demonstrations.
- Draft a word using one of the riddle number lines and ask students to tell corresponding fractions and decimal forms of each letter in the word.
- Uplevel the assessment by having your students give letter-number correspondences to the thousandths.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Allow your students to share out answers with the whole class.
- Complete the worksheet by writing both decimal and fraction forms for each letter of both riddles.