Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Fairy Tales from Around the World: Cinderella
The students will be able to compare and contrast different adaptations of the same story.
- As a whole group, explain to the students that they will be comparing and contrasting two versions of the story Cinderella.
- Ask the students to help develop the main plot of the Cinderella story that they are most familiar with.
- Inform the class that they will be reading versions of Cinderella from other countries.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Pass out the Venn Diagram worksheets. Go over the directions and ask the students if they have any questions.
- Create a hand-drawn version of the diagram on the board.
- Use an example like cat/dog to start filling out the diagram on the board so that students can get the hang of using Venn diagrams.
- Tell your students that you will be filling out a Venn Diagram for two different versions of the story Cinderella: one from China and one from Korea.
Guided Practice(30 minutes)
- Read aloud Yeh Shen by Ai-Ling Louie and The Korean Cinderella by Shirley Climo.
- Make sure to emphasize the key terms as you read.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- While you are reading the stories to the class, your students should be actively listening and filling in their Venn Diagram worksheets.
- Allow extra time after the stories have been read for students to work independently and ask questions.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students write their own versions of Cinderella.
- Support: Provide struggling students with the Yeh Shen and The Korean Cinderella printouts. They can be allowed to reference the printouts during Independent Working Time.
- Collect students' Venn diagram worksheets once they finish working. Review them later to assess their comprehension of the lesson content.
Review and closing(20 minutes)
- Come back together as a whole group and discuss the similarities and differences of both versions of Cinderella.
- Review some or all of the vocabulary words from the stories.
- Ask students to point out similarities and differences between the two new versions and the version they're most familiar with.