Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Graphing Colored Counters
Students will be able to use data gathered to complete a graph. Students will be able to use the data from a graph to answer questions.
- Tell your students that today they will use what they have learned about counting, adding, subtracting, and graphing to create their own graphs.
- Review these concepts with your students.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Display the graphing template, and review the different parts of the graph.
- Show students a set of counters from a sandwich bag.
- Instruct your students to sort by colors.
- Hold the counters up as you sort them so that your students can count them as you sort.
- Ask your students to tell you how many groups you sorted.
- Have your students tell you what you will do with the information or data that you have gathered.
- Ask for a volunteer to show you how to graph the data on the given graph.
- Starting from the bottom, use a marker to color in one box for each counter.
- Bring your students' attention to the information at the bottom of the graph.
- Inform students that the columns should be labeled with the color.
- Finally, direct students’ attention to the question part of the worksheet.
- Have them answer the questions related to the graph that they create.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Give each of your students a sandwich bag with counters to sort.
- Instruct your students to sort the items and count how many they have in total.
- Ask your students to count how many items are in each group they created.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Inform students that they will create their own graph using counters in the bag.
- Remind students to refer back to your example if they need additional guidance.
- Have them fill out the worksheet with their own sandwich bags.
- Give the students a blank worksheet on which they can create their own graph and questions. Encourage your students to use whatever data they choose, such as comparing ice cream flavors and favorite pets.
- Use only two different colored counters. Use fewer counters in the sandwich bags (from 2-5).
- Observe your students as they complete the lesson, giving guidance as they work.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask a student to volunteer to show their graphs.
- Have them show their sandwich bag counters as well, and instruct the rest of the class to check the student's work.