Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Multiplying Whole Numbers and Fractions: Illustrated!
Students will be able to illustrate products of whole numbers and fractions using number lines.
- Have your students think, pair, and share an answer to the following question: What kinds of things can number lines show us?
- Note student responses for future reference.
- Explain to your class that today’s lesson teaches how to use number lines to illustrate the product of whole numbers and a fractions.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Hand out the Illustrating Whole Number and Fraction Multiplication worksheet and and preview the two-step process.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Lead your class through the two-step process for exercises 1, 6, and 11 of the Illustrating Fraction and Whole Number Multiplication worksheet. Answer any clarifying questions.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Have your students complete the remaining exercises of the Illustrating Fraction and Whole Number Multiplication worksheet individually.
- Add exercises 2, 7, and 12 to the guided lesson section, allowing students to hand off to one another during exercise solutions.
- Have students multiply whole numbers by larger unit fractions (i.e. instead of 8 x 1/3 or 1/5, try fractions like 2/3, 3/5, or 4/7).
- Document cameras and or computers with projectors make for a great setup to display lesson materials in an interactive way on whiteboard using dry erase markers.
- Show your student a number line illustrating 7 x ⅓ and have them explain the multiplication equation it represents.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Review the answers whole class.
- Discuss: What kinds of insights can we gain from solutions illustrated with number lines?