Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Popcorn Sight Words
Students will be able to identify sight words.
- Review the sight word list with your students so that they are familiar with them before you begin the game.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Have the sight words posted on the board for the students to review during their game.
- Explain the game to your students: Students will be broken into game groups, and one at a time they will select a card out of the pile and read it. If students know the word, they get to keep it and earn a point. If they do not know the word, they are to return the card to the pile and their turn is over.
Guided Practice(15 minutes)
- Play a practice round with a small group of students, guiding them through as they need it.
Independent working time(25 minutes)
- Have the class play the game in their groups.
- The student with the most points, or cards, in each group at the end of the game wins.
- Walk around the class to make sure they are playing the game correctly and fairly.
- Enrichment: Have advanced students mentor struggling students, or make identifying the sight words a time trial with other advanced students.
- Support: Pair struggling students with peer mentors.
- Test the students on the list of sight words to see how many they know. Don't try to do all of the students in one day, as this part might take a few days to get to every student.
Review and closing(15 minutes)
- Have the students review the words they won with the class.