Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
No standards associated with this content.
Which set of standards are you looking for?
Students will be able to compose a song that brings people together.
- Have students sing a familiar song together.
- Ask students how it felt to sing together.
- Then ask students what the song is about. Explain that songs can tell stories, express emotions, or help people celebrate.
- Have students think of one of their favorite songs and share its purpose. Does it tell a story, express emotion, or bring people together to celebrate?
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Read aloud We All Sing With the Same Voice by J. Philip Miller. Ask students how music can bring people together.
- Tell students that they will be writing songs that bring people together.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Model how to write a brief song about a topic of your choice. If you'd like to go into depth about the structure of songs, you can explain that songs have verses, choruses, and bridges. Otherwise, just draft a chorus or verse of a song.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Have students work in pairs to write a short song. Ask students to practice singing their songs together.
Support: Have students model their song after a song they are familiar with.
Enrichment: Have students create a performance, complete with a lyric sheet for their song.
- Assess how students work together to write songs.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on pairs to perform their songs.