While graduation is a celebration of past achievements and future possibilities, right now what graduates are really thinking about are the fun events leading up to graduation day. Not all events have to be school-sponsored—here’s one you can do at home for your teen and his or her closest friends the morning of graduation.
Since graduation is such a milestone (and many seniors will dress up to celebrate), this is not your typical bowl-of-oatmeal day. Instead, we’ve created a three-course morning meal. This is a breakfast to bring out the tablecloths, china, and glass flutes. Here’s what’s on the menu:
- Mock Mimosas and Fresh Fruit
- Smoked Salmon Benedict
- Hot Chocolate and Ebelskivers
First Course: Mock Mimosas and Fresh Fruit
To make mock mimosas, add equal parts ginger ale and orange juice into a pitcher and stir. Chill until ready to serve, and pour into glass flutes.
Since you’ll be making a hollandaise sauce for the second course, make the first course as simple as possible. Store-prepared fruit salad dressed up in a china bowl is a perfect starter course, as is grapefruit halves or fresh berries over yogurt.
Second Course: Smoked Salmon Benedict
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (preferably Meyer lemons)
- 4 English muffins
- 8 poached eggs
- 12 ounces smoked salmon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Skim the white foam off the butter and set aside to slightly cool.
- Fill a saucepan with two inches of water and heat until it just reaches a simmer. Add eggs and lemon in a stainless steel bowl and whisk until smooth and lighter in color. Place the bowl over the saucepan, making sure the water does not touch the base of the bowl.
- Continue briskly whisking the egg mixture. Add a few drops of the melted butter, and then slowly add the remaining butter, whisking the entire time. (When you are almost done adding the butter, you will notice milk solids that have settled at the base of the pan. Stop when you reach that point, you do not want the milk solids in your sauce.)
- Whisk until the sauce has thickened but is still easy to pour.
- To assemble the dish, split and toast the English muffins. Place slices of salmon on each muffin half and top with a poached egg. Drizzle hollandaise sauce over the egg and serve immediately.
Third Course: Hot Chocolate and Ebelskivers
A gourmet play on coffee and donuts, for the last course serve your graduates cups of hot chocolate topped with real whipped cream and chocolate shavings and a side of chocolate chip ebelskivers. Ebelskivers are a Danish filled pancake treat, and the pan needed to make them can be found at specialty food retailers.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Butter for the pan
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk and sour cream until well combined. Then add to the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. (The batter will be thick and slightly lumpy.)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Stir in 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites with a rubber spatula.
- Place a small dab of butter into each round of the ebelskiver pan. Place over medium heat until the butter melts and begins to bubble Using a cookie scoop, place about one tablespoon of batter in each round. Sprinkle several chocolate chips into the center of the batter, and top with an additional tablespoon of batter. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, and then turn the ebelskivers over with skewers or two spoons. Cook for several more minutes, until the entire pancake is a golden brown.
- Use a salad plate large enough to hold a small cup of hot chocolate and two ebelskivers. Dust the ebelskivers with powdered sugar and serve immediately. Enjoy!