Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Aromatherapy: Does Scent Affect Mood?
Grade Level: Middle School; Type: Life Science, Social Science.
- Explore psychological mood states and emotions.
- Learn about our response to scents and consider why they might affect our mood state.
- Learn the basic steps of experimental testing.
- Why might the scent of orange elevate one’s mood?
- Why might the scent of frankincense elevate one’s mood?
- Is there any reason to believe that one of these scents might be more effective than the other in elevating one’s mood?
Over the course of human evolutionary history, scents served as clues to our ancestors about the nature of people and things in their environment. As a result, we have evolved responses to many scents. Aroma therapists believe the naturally occuring scents orange and frankincense make people happier. Are they right? In this study, subjects will complete an emotion and mood questionnaire. Then they will be exposed to one of the two scents. You'll compare differences before and after "scent treatment" for each scent group, as well as the differences between the average change in mood associated with each scent. To measure moods, we'll be using the Likert scale template.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.