Grade Level: 6th to 8th; Type: Physical Science (Cooking Science)
- What causes uneven baking?
- Can it be prevented?
- Do different types of metal conduct heat at different rates?
- Do they heat evenly across the cookie sheet?
- One aluminum cookie sheet
- One insulated cookie sheet
- One steel cookie sheet
- One Non-stick cookie sheet
- Enough cookie dough for four dozen cookies (Hint: You want to make sure that you use the same dough for every baking sheet.)
- Ice cream scoop (This will help you make every cookie as close to the same size as possible.)
- Pen or pencil
- Lab notebook
- Use the ice cream scoop to measure out one dozen cookies on each kind of cookie sheet.
- Bake each sheet of cookies at the same temperature for the same length of time.
- Observe each finished sheet of cookies. How do the cookies look on top? How do the cookies look on the bottom? Did any of the cookies stick? Did all of the cookies on one sheet look the same or were some more cooked than others? Record your observations.
- Analyze your data. Did the different types of metal conduct heat at different rates? What do you think causes uneven baking? How do you think it can be prevented?
Terms/Concepts: how heat conducts; different kinds of metals (aluminum, steel, insulated, non-stick)