Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Make a Rheostat
A small device that controls the voltage flow by a dial or knob.
What do you need?
- A flashlight bulb and socket
- Two "D" cell batteries or a dry cell lantern battery
- About 16 inches of wire
- A piece of wire about 2 inches long
- A long, long spring -- the spring from a inside w roll up window will work great. You'll need to break open the wooden section that the shade rolls up on to get to the spring. Ask an adult to help you get this spring out.
- Pair of wire clippers
What to do?
- Connect the two batteries so the positive pole connects to the negative pole of the other battery.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.