All necessary materials are readily available.
Project Time Frame
This project explores the many possibilities of sand.
The goals of this project are:
- To discover the properties and uses of sand.
- To develop new or improved methods, techniques, or products involving sand.
- Computer with internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/craft/hobby supplies (such as paper, pens & posterboard, glue, etc.)
- Sand samples
All materials can be found in your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
Sand is an abundant natural resource, composed of various rocks and minerals, broken down into very tiny pieces called grains.If the grains are of a certain size (greater than 2mm), then the material is referred to as gravel.Sand is used in agriculture, architecture, construction, fine arts, landscaping, environmental protection, and many other commercial industries.Different types of sand are used for different purposes.Let’s look at some of these purposes, and maybe even develop new and improved uses for sand.
- How is sand formed?
- What are the different types of sand?
- What are some important uses for sand?
- How does sand become glass?
Terms and Concepts to Start Background Research
- Research related materials (see bibliography below)
- Search and print out images of sand, and also striking examples of blown glass creations.
- Collect several samples of sand from different locations.
- Photograph sand samples.
- Carefully label all photos.
- Examine sand samples under a microscope
- Consider new uses for sand.
- Clearly describe your ideas in a detailed report.
- Visit a studio where artisans make blown glass objects. Observe and photograph this process.
- Include sand and glass samples in your science fair display.
- Show interesting photos taken throughout the course of the project.
Wiki topic: “Sand” “Sand Casting” “Glass” and “Glassblowing”
http://www.beaufortcountylibrary.org/htdocs-sirsi/beachsan.htm (Beach sand)
http://www.microscope-microscope.org/applications/sand/microscopic-sand.htm (Microscopic images of sand)
Internet searches of your own choosing:Search for any of the terms listed above (or make up your own phrases to search), and click on any results that interest you.Have fun surfing the net!