All necessary materials are readily available.
Project Time Frame
This project attempts to develop a new or improved eco-friendly packing material.
The goals of this project are:
- To discover new ways to use recycled materials.
- Waste prevention on a global scale.
- Computer with internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/craft/hobby supplies (such as paper, pens & poster-board, glue, etc.)
All materials can be found in your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
Packaging is a major industry in which engineers design containers (and filler) for shipping, protection, storage and use. Packaging is also useful for the transmission of information via labeling. Common packaging materials include paper products, plastics, foam, and air. This project involves experimenting with different types of packaging materials.
- What packaging materials are currently being mass produced?
- What are the benefits, drawbacks, and costs of available packaging materials?
- What other materials could be used in packaging?
Terms and Concepts to Start Background Research
- Research related materials (see bibliography below)
- Search and print out images of various packaging options for various items.
- Think of a new type of packaging material, method, or technique.
- Design a cost-effective way to package a raw egg that will not break when dropped onto a hard surface from a height of at least 20 feet.
- Make several sketches. Indicate all measurements and materials used.
- Build a model of your design.
- Test and demonstrate your packaging design, and record all observations.
- Clearly describe your methods and materials in a detailed report.
- Include packaging material samples in your science fair display.
- Show interesting photos taken throughout the course of the project.
Wiki topics: “Packaging” and “Recycling”
http://www.packagingindustry.info/index.htm (All about the Packaging Industry)
http://www.packagingtoday.com/ (Packaging Industry News)
Internet searches of your own choosing: Search for any of the terms listed above (or make up your own phrases to search), and click on any results that interest you. Have fun surfing the net!