All necessary materials are readily available.
Project Time Frame:
This project attempts to design a town entirely from recycled materials by discovering new ways to use recycled materials and to encourage new, evironmentally-friendly architectural design ideas.
Materials and Equipment:
- Computer with internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/craft/hobby supplies (such as paper, pens & poster-board, wood, glue, etc.)
All materials can be found in your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
Eco-friendly homes are all the rage, to the delight of many concerned citizens who were wondering what to do with all those billions of old radial tires and rusty tin cans.These and many other unwanted objects can be used for the construction of buildings, playgrounds, roadways, and just about anything else that makes a place a town.
- What defines a city or town?
- Can an entire city be built of recycled materials?
- Which materials would work best for building each part of a city?
- Urban Planning
- Research related materials (see bibliography below)
- Search and print out images of cities and towns that interest you.
- Sketch designs for your own city or town.Sketch the outline of the town first.Then indicate important land features, such as hills and bodies of water.
- Add all necessary elements, such as homes, public buildings, roadways, railroad tracks, airport, etc.Stretch your imagination as far as it will go.
- Indicate all measurements and construction materials involved.
- Build a model that illustrates your idea, using (if possible) the same materials in your plan.
- Clearly describe your methods, materials, and estimated cost in a detailed report.
- Include your model and sketches in your science fair display.
- Show interesting photos taken throughout the course of the project.
Wiki topics: “Recycling” “Urban Planning” “City” and “Town.”
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/06/12/recycled.homes/index.html (A home made from storage containers)
http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060128/NEWS/601280301/1016 (A house made from tires)
http://www.silverstage.net/build-alternative.htm (Alternative building materials)
http://www.build-smarter.com/Chapter1/ch1intro.php (More alternative building ideas)
Internet searches of your own choosing:Search for any of the terms listed above (or make up your own phrases to search), and click on any results that interest you.Have fun surfing the net!