Consonant Blend Scavenger Hunt Activity
Does your child love scavenger hunts? Whether they're finding sunglasses or sunflowers, kids seem to enjoy searching for treasure. Play this thrilling scavenger hunt with your first grader to give him some fun consonant blend sound practice!
What You Need:
- Pencil or pen
- Bag or basket
- 16 index cards
What You Do:
- Write one consonant blend per card: tr, sw, st, sp, sn, sm, sl, sc, pl, gr, fl, dr, cr, cl, br, and bl.
- Give your child one card and have him make the sound the blend makes. Inform him that blends are two letters that make one sound, such as the "cr" in cry. Sound out the blend with your child.
- It's scavenger hunt time! Hand your child a bag, and give him 5 minutes to find objects that start with the blend that you just gave him. Offer him suggestions of words if he needs help.
- After 5 minutes, go through the objects. Help your child find the remaining blend objects throughout your house, including the objects that were too big to put in the bag. Give him a point for each item he names!
- Play another round! For a beginner, just play a few rounds. For a challenge, have your child take two cards at a time per round, or have him compete with a friend.