Coffee Can Stilts Activity
With the current craze for scooters and skateboards, it’s surprising stilts haven’t caught on. If you have a child who loves daredevil stunts, try making these coffee-can stilts. They couldn’t be easier to put together, and they’re sure to provide hours of backyard fun and exercise.
What You Need:
- 2 large, empty coffee cans
- A bottle opener
- Thick cord
- Recommended: a bicycle helmet, knee, wrist and elbow pads
What You Do:
- Discard the lids to the coffee cans and turn them open side down.
- Let your child decorate the cans as he likes, using anything from paint and glitter to stickers and other craft supplies. Tell him that these stilts are specially made for him, and he can decorate how he likes!
- Use the bottle opener to poke two holes in the former bottom of the coffee can, one on each side.
- Have your child stand next to a coffee can. Cut a length of cord long enough to stretch from his hand to the top of the can and back, leaving enough extra cord to tie knots. Cut another piece of cord exactly the same length.
- Loop a piece of cord through the holes in a coffee can, tying beneath. Repeat with the other can and cord.
- Instant stilts! To be on the safe side, have your child don protective gear and practice walking before hitting the open road.