Homemade Face Paint Activity
Homemade face paint is a great way to bring the fun of a fairground face painting booth to your home or party! Although you might not be able to make it to the fair this year, you can bring a little of the excitement into your house with this homemade face paint. Mix your own homemade face paint using cold cream, corn starch, and food coloring—it's that easy! Free of mystery ingredients and skin irritants, this homemade face paint craft is a delightful, easy, and creative activity year round, and it's also a safe and economical way to jazz up a Halloween costume!
What You Need:
- 2 tablespoons of cold cream, or other thick face cream
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Food coloring in assorted colors
- Paper plate
- Small paintbrushes
- Optional: stencils
What You Do:
- Mix the face cream, corn starch and food coloring together well. Make a rainbow of colors using the food coloring, but be sure to only use a few drops!
- Put a dollop of each color onto the paper plate.
- Grab the paintbrush and cover your child's cheeks with color! Simple things like rainbows, cat whiskers and stars are easy to do freehand. If you're doing this around a holiday, you can theme it! Jack-o'-lanterns on Halloween, hearts for Valentine's day, balloons for a birthday, etc.
- With some guidance and a mirror, your child might want to paint his own face. It could get messy, but it sure is fun! Keep a close watch though to make sure he doesn't get any paint in his eyes.
- Encourage your child to engage in imaginary play with his new identity! It's so fun, you might even be tempted to paint your own face and play along!
Gina Dal Fuoco has been an elementary school teacher in California for over 12 years, and has also taught English as a foreign language in Italy. Gina is the mother of a toddler and a kindergartener.