Who says monsters have to be big and scary? These adorable, squishy monsters are fun and easy for preschoolers to make. All you need are a few small balloons, some flour, glue, and googly eyes. Then you're all set for some silly monster fun!
What You Need:
- Balloons (It's best to use short ones rather than long skinny ones)
- Wiggly eyes
- Small funnel
What You Do:
- This activity requires a bit of prep work. Before the crafting can begin, an adult needs to blow up each balloon and hold it with the air in it for a few minutes. Parents, don't tie the balloons! Once each balloon has been expanded with air, and held nice and full for a few minutes, slowly let the air out. Now your balloon is stretched and ready for monster action!
- Place the funnel at the opening of the balloon (after the air has been let out) and scoop flour into the funnel, so it slithers down into the balloon. Your preschooler can help by holding the funnel tightly at the opening, or by scooping the flour.
- Fill the balloon almost to capacity, but leave enough room to tie a knot. After the knot is tied, the body of the monster is done! Brush off any excess flour.
- Let your child decorate the monsters with googly eyes and markers.
These goofy goblins make great decorations, or monster pets perfect for pretend play. Decorating them also gives little hands some fine motor practice, strengthening their fingers for writing.