Play Sentence Scramble Activity
Turn your third grader into an effective writer with this hands-on activity! In this activity, your child will turn simple sentences into compound sentences, and become a more analytic, interesting writer. Bond as a family and work on essential communication skills!
What You Need:
- Two big containers
- Slips of construction paper in 2 colors
What You Do:
- Choose a topic, such as a sport, a piece of furniture, or a television show.
- Instruct everyone to each write 10 simple sentences on separate slips of one color. Have them put these slips into the container.
- On the other color, tell your family members to write 10 conjuctions, such as but, or, and yet. Inform them that they can use the same conjuction multiple times, and have them place these in another container.
- Go around and have everyone pick 2 sentence slips and 1 conjuction slip. Ask each person to read his sentence. Discuss which sentences make sense and which ones are just funny and silly!
Sally is an experienced educator with over 14 years of teaching experience. Over the last ten years she has created educational materials, including ancillary, textbook, and test items, for Grades K-8 for major educational publishers.