Make Alphabet Blocks
This a great way to increase your child's vocabulary and learn beginning sounds all in one activity. Create your own set of alphabet blocks— you can make just a few or all 26! Select pictures that begin with a particular letter or choose a theme for your custom set of blocks.
What You Need:
- 3" x 2" x 3" boxes (any quantity)
- Clip art or pictures from magazines
What You Do:
- Cut pictures from magazines or cut out clip art pictures. Each box can display one letter and four pictures or two letters and 3 pictures. (If you use old magazines for pictures, complete this step of the activity with your child asking him or her to help identify pictures that begin with the letter(s) you are working with)
- You can either type the corresponding beginning letter for the pictures on your computer and print and cut them, or simply write the letters directly onto the boxes.
- Glue the pictures onto each box. Glue the beginning letter(s) on either side or just the top of the box.
You now have a set of alphabet blocks that your child can enjoy reviewing—and stacking!—time and again. This combines letter and sound recognition with kinesthetic learning, as your child moves and plays while she learns!