This Valentine's Day, think outside of the candy box! Your child can make something to share with her friends that isn't super sweet with these cheesy heart crackers. She'll get in the kitchen and hone her culinary skills while she makes something fun and tasty for friends and family!
What You Need:
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- Dash of paprika
- Mixing bowl
- Rolling pin
- Parchment paper
- 2 sheet trays
- Small heart cookie cutter
- Food processor
What You Do:
- Encourage your child to measure out the ingredients (except for the water) and add them to the food processor. Then give the mixture a couple of good pulses until everything is blended well and resembles course sand.
- Now have her add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, pulsing after adding, until the dough forms a ball.
- Then preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and have your child line the sheet trays with parchment paper.
- It’s time to roll out some cheesy crackers! Invite your child to place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and press flat with her freshly washed hands. She can sprinkle the dough with more flour and then use a rolling pin to evenly roll the dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Now your child can use the heart cookie cutter to cut out hearts and place them on the parchment lined sheet trays until there’s no dough left. Have her gather the leftover dough and re-roll it to be cut again, making sure there’s no dough wasted!
- Then place the cut heart crackers in the oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until they are puffed up and golden brown! Her finished cheesy heart crackers are ready to be shared with friends and family for Valentine’s Day!
These heart-y crackers are a healthier and tastier alternative to salt-laden crackers you can buy in the store. So enjoy!