Mother's Day Treat Activity
No need to visit expensive candy stores or boutiques this Mother's Day! Your child can piece together an adorable treat for Mom in just minutes. Fresh strawberries, melted chocolate, and toothpicks are all he needs to get started. This heart-shaped Mother's Day wreath is not only delectable to taste, but it's sweet to look at, too!
What You Need:
- 10-12 strawberries
- Several bars of dark or milk chocolate
- A microwave safe bowl
- A spoon
- A sheet of wax paper
What You Do:
- Have your child rinse strawberries before beginning this project.
- Next, ask him to put the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it at 30-second increments, until it is thoroughly melted. Use your spoon to test the consistency; be sure it doesn't overheat! (Burnt chocolate has both a bad taste and smell.)
- Stick one toothpick into the top, leafy-green part of each strawberry
- Now, help him dip the strawberries one at a time into the chocolate. Turn the toothpick until the entire strawberry is coated in chocolate—yum!
- After all the strawberries are coated, ask him to place them side-by-side into a heart formation. Allow them to dry a bit, and then remove the toothpicks.
- Have him use the toothpicks to connect the strawberries one by one.
- Place the strawberries on a sheet of wax paper in the refrigerator to cool.
- The chocolate-covered wreath is ready! Be sure to refrigerate it until he's ready to give it to Mom!