Practice Counting with Paperclips
If your preschooler needs counting practice, try this pared-down game. Kids count the clips in each cup and match the count with a playing card of the same number. Requiring minimal set-up, this game is ideal for on-the-fly counting practice.
What You Need:
- Large colored plastic paper clips in 5 colors
- 5 cups
- Numbered cards from 1 to 10 (you can use playing cards or make your own using markers and index cards)
What You Do:
- Place the cups in a row on the table.
- Put the colored clips in the cups, one color per cup, varying the number of clips in each one.
- Ask your child to count the clips in the first cup. How many does he count?
- Have him find the numbered card that matches the number of clips he counted and place it in front of the cup.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining 4 cups. Did he count correctly each time?