Clothespin Drop! Activity
Encourage your preschooler to practice color recognition, counting and pattern matching with this fun and colorful clothespin drop game. This is a great way to get your child excited about learning the basics of math.
What You Need:
- 5 Coffee cans, 1lb. size each
- 5 Sheets of construction paper (red, orange, yellow, green and blue)
- Clear tape
- 25 Wooden clothespins
- Tempera paint (red, orange, yellow, green, blue)
- Stopwatch, or digital clock
What You Do:
- Help your child cut down each piece of construction paper to the size.
- Roll one color of paper around each can and tape it in place.
- Have your child tell you which color is on each can, while you write the name of the corresponding color onto the paper.
- Ask her to separate the clothespins into groups of 5.
- Have her paint each group of clothespins a different color. Let dry.
- Line up the cans on the floor in a row, in the center of a room.
- Scatter the clothespins, mixing the colors around in the cans.
- Encourage her to see how quickly she can separate the colors and put them in the corresponding can. Time her to see how quick she is!
- Dump them out again and mix them up. Tell her what her last time was and shave off a few seconds. Yell, "Go!" and have her re-sort them. Yell, "Stop!" at the end of the time allotted. Did her speed increase? The more she practices, the faster she'll get!
- Practice creating patterns by timing her as she places clothespins in the colored tins in a specific order. As she continues, try to introduce more complex patterns.