Magic Water Bottle
I spy with my little eye...something shiny filled with tons of fun! Tap into your child’s imagination while creating magic water bottles by filling a bottle with objects that they can search for and locate. This bottle will provide tons of entertainment as your child hones his concentration and memory skills by looking for the treasures inside.
What You Need:
- Empty water bottle with lid
- Paper and pencil
- Small beads
- String and ribbon
- Small plastic play animals
- 6–8 drops food coloring
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Measuring cup
What You Do:
- Take your child on a scavenger hunt around the house for as many small items he can find, such as miniature plastic animals or marbles.
- Now he can create a drawing of each item he discovered so he has a visual chart of the items going into his magic water bottle. Offer assistance writing out the names of the items next to the drawings, encouraging language and writing development.
- Have your child place all his objects in the water bottle along with some glitter, confetti and lengths of ribbon or string.
- Now he can carefully squeeze a few drops of his favorite food coloring into the bottle and fill three-quarters of the way with water.
- Next, measure the vegetable oil in the measuring cup and carefully add to the water bottle. If the bottle isn’t full, he can add a bit more water.
- Now he can replace the cap on the bottle and give things a good shake. Offer your child his original drawings of the items he placed in his magic water bottle and see if he can locate all the items!
This is the perfect take home activity for birthday parties. No need for goodie bags when each kid can bring home a magic water bottle.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.