Make Flower Pot Music
Turn flower pots into a unique musical instrument with this inventive activity! Your child will be a musician in no time and this activity will give him a great opportunity to learn about music and sound. Your child will be able to hear and analyze the different sounds he produces with his very own homemade instrument. Just as importantly, he'll learn that music is everywhere if you know how to listen.
What You Need:
- Clay flower pots
- Wooden spoon
- Notebook rings
- Place from which to hang the pots
What to Do:
- Collect clay flower pots with a hole in each of the pot bottoms. Use four or five different sizes.
- Thread a piece of string through the bottom of each pot and attach it to a notebook ring placed inside the pot.
- Hang the pots upside-down at different lengths, so that when they are struck with the wooden spoon, they will not swing and hit each other.
- Invite your child to hit the pots with the wooden spoon to make music. Talk about the different sounds the different-sized pots make. Older children can try to imitate a tune they know or make their own.
If your child would like to show off his newfound musical talent, gather friends and family members for a concert!